Friday, April 4, 2008

Thing #2 -- Lib. 2.0 -- April 4, 2008




Lib 2.0
sounds like the name of a library course I might have taken in my undergraduate days, where classes occasionally had decimal points. But the content of Lib 2.0 would certainly not have been the same in those days!

Steven Abram's idea that you can always find time to do what you want to do it right. That's what my long-time friend Mary Burman said when I asked her where in the world she could find time to be a teacher, mother of six, and still bake bread every weekend. "You find time to do what you want to do," she said.

My 15 minutes will probably come in the evening, away from the distractions of work and my office. Because the piano and computer are close to each other, I'll probably spend less time playing the piano to relax and unwind. So far the 23 Sticks are also fun and relaxing, so the end product will be the same.

A comment in the OCLC newsletter "iceberg" caught my eye -- the need to make "good yet fast decisions." I'm not sure how possible that model is in my work environment. Decisions seem to take a long time, with lots of input and approval layers before anything begins to happen. And by that time, something else is new and needs a "good yet fast decision."

So, I think I need to build in making "good yet fast decisions" into the parts of my job where I can do this. I started with using SurveyMonkey for many things related to committee work and teaching, and find that it's fast and easy to analyze format helps make decisions come about more rapidly. Now most of my graduate students use SurveyMonkey if they are doing a survey of some sort -- they of course learn things that I don't know about it, which I find fun and exhilarating.

I'm also starting a family blog that everyone can add to as a way of keeping in touch faster. On that, I won't have to wait to anyone else to decide if it's "good enough" yet -- I'll just do it and see what happens!


No comments: