Friday, April 11, 2008

Thing #5 -- More Flickr -- April 11, 2008


Getting too late on Friday afternoon. I'll work on this later. Bye. :-)

Later in the weekend. Finally the uploading of an image works -- here are the steps that are just across from the back door to Dove Cottage, in Grasmere in the Lake District. Wordsworth lived here with his sister Dorothy. Later he married his childhood friend and they have 5 children and moved to Rydal Mount. Dove Cottage is pretty small, and it's hard to imagine Wordsworth, 2 women, and 5 children living there all at once.

On the 23 Things site I found this mashup, one of the 10 best Flickr mashups, which uses Flickr photos to spell a word. I'll try pasting the HTML into this message and see if it works.


Pewter Uppercase Letter L coloured card disc letter i B r A Pastry Cutter R plain card disc letter y
WOW! It did. I'll have to save this mashup URL. Here it is: WOW! It did. I'll have to save this mashup URL. Here it is: http://metaatem.net/words/library

Here's a link to a Captioner! attempt: Cute HAND-made HANDful of fingerpuppets, with a balloon caption: Look, Ma, no strings on me!

The URL went on forever and didn't work for copy/paste. After a few tries, I remembered how to do a link in HTML, so click below to see the captioned photo.

Hand Puppet

I played guess-the-tag for more time than I probably should have. It's interesting to see how people's minds work. Then I made a puzzle from the same Wordsworth Dove Cottage picture. Here it is:

Dove Cottage Steps Puzzle
I emailed it to myself to get the link to put here.

Flitting around on Flickr has been fun. I can definitely see using the spelling program to make library signs or signs for my class. Probably I'll get it up on my work computer (I'm at home now) and do a screen grab and then paste that into documents. Though they do look like ransom notes, so I'll be careful to not overdo it. When you select the Square option, the words looks less like it was torn from a magazine.

The St. John's/St. Ben's use of Flickr for recently purchased books is cool and could be worth a try. Maybe we could start with this as a way to let faculty know about new reference books. Right now, we xerox the cover and table of contents and send those -- but sending a photo electronically would be easier and might get people's attention better than a paper copy that has to be passed around to everyone.

I'm afraid I'm not full of original ideas for using these -- but, I'm a great adapter of other people's ideas, so I'm sure I'll come up with ways. I've thought of a series of photos taken in the library (small details, unusual angles, etc.) and see if students can identify the place. I saw this at a public library in Buffalo, WY, with the photos taken from around the town. I'd like to give that a try, maybe for National Library Week. Gulp. I just realized that starts on Monday -- probably won't get done!

I'll definitely be using Flickr on our family blog for photos.

No comments: