Friday, April 11, 2008

Thing #4 -- Flickr -- April 11, 2008

I've looked at Flickr before and have had a good time looking at photos of SCSU. I found a photo of someone looking at what I figured was a rare book, taken in our circulation area. I alerted our archivist, and I think that pre-Civil War book is now in the Rare Book collection.

I loved the look of the Common Craft video. Reminds me of when I used to have students videotape (with BIG videorecorders) and animals illustrations for their original poems. I think you just filmed about 3-8 frames at a time. Of course, Common Craft is much slicker, but it still is enjoyable to watch something that's not totally high tech and has a human touch.

I enjoyed looking at the group of photos for "library signs" in Flickr (including many that were from the Library of Congress collections). I'm posting several of my favorites, that show a sense of humor about this world of libraries.

In case you missed the George W. Bush back-of-the-envelope design, the winner was called Hole in the Ground. You can see it at:
http://chronicle.com/free/v54/i26/26b01401.htm#7

p.s. I haven't been successful in using the image icon -- nothing happens when I click on it, and there is no option to browse for a file. I checked Help, Images, even the posted responses. Sounds like something is wrong with the Flickr image uploading capability right now. I'll check with a colleague on Monday if it's still not working.

No comments: