Saturday, April 12, 2008

Thing #6 - Image Generators - April 12, 2008







Hmm ... I haven't been able to move these two image generator-generated items from the top of this blog posting. The HTML coding from these sites is really complex -- I can't figure out where a command starts and ends, so I'm just leaving the banner and the typewriter script (whatever is "screed"? -- OK, I looked that up on Google:
A long, very straight board used for striking off concrete.
www.gravestonepreservation.info/glossary.asp
) right where they are.

I suggest trading cards of librarians visiting libraries far from home. My husband and I went to the Shetland Isles in the summer of 2006. I always try to visit libraries when I'm traveling. The Shetlands are part of the UK but far north of Scotland. Unfortunately, the library was closed over the weekend when we did a lot of our touring. I think most librarians are obsessed with libraries and visit on "a busman's holiday" whenever possible. Good thing my husband likes libraries, too!

Now the image loader isn't working again. I'll try later.


I love the Carleton cards, which I've seen before. I didn't realize this is how they created them. They are years and years ahead of me. But I feel with this project that I'm catching up a little bit.
We also thought we'd do ALA READ posters for the reference librarians, but we haven't gotten that done yet this year. I'll be making trading cards for a family reunion this summer -- from the grandkids to the grandparent generation. That will be great fun!

Here's a banner I made on Image Chef:
ImageChef Custom ImagesLibrarian on the Run
Well, it's just part of a banner, evidently. Can't figure out how to change that, though I've tried several things.

I can see using banners for newsletters to faculty as part of our liaison program in the library. Also, they would make nice headings for handouts for library instruction sessions, if there's an appropriate one. That sort of goes back to the days of the old Print Shop!

Here's an example from the typewriter generator: Well, see the top.

My favorite site is the Big Huge Labs Flickr Toys -- many many usable, adaptable ideas there. I could play all day. But not this day!





2 comments:

Got 2 Trot Librarian said...

Hi! I noticed your Librarian on the Run banners (very nice!) and wanted to share mine with you. Please check out my Librarian on the Run banner at my site: www.got2trotlibrarian.blogspot.com

LeAnn said...

Carleton doesn't actually make their cards here. They design them in-house and then have them sent off to a print shop. But, this is something that can easily be used to re-create the same type of cards in your own library?

LeAnn Suchy
CMLE 23 Things Coach